Jason Neidleman, professor of political science, University of La Verne
The year 2012 is the tricentennial of the birth of Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Genevan philosopher, writer, and composer of 18th century Romanticism. The University of Notre Dame has partnered with Amnesty International to launch DIGNITY, a photographic exhibit on poverty and human rights first unveiled in Paris in 2010. The show features portraits from Mexico, Egypt, Indian, Nigeria, and Macedonia and will take place alongside lectures throughout the semester based on the subjects of Rousseau’s writings.
Alongside this exhibit, there is another drawn from the Snite Museum of Art’s permanent collection called A Person’s Worth, which shows how the poor have been represented in 18th to 20th century art. A Person’s Worth includes drawings and photographs by artists such as Cochin, Goya, Millet, Kollwitz and Nadar. Study guides for visitors reveal linkages between the two exhibits and the writings of Rousseau.
The DIGNITY exhibit will run from January 15, 2012, through March 11, 2012, in the Snite Museum of Art.
The following is a full list of events for Rousseau 2012 / DIGNITY. All events will be held in the Snite Museum of Art’s Annenberg Auditorium.
- January 18, 2012—5:00 p.m.: Rousseau and Human Rights
Christie McDonald, professor of French and comparative literature, Harvard University
- January 18, 2012—6:30 p.m.: DIGNITY exhibit opening reception (Snite Museum of Art atrium)
- February 2, 2012—4:30 p.m.: Rousseau and the Pursuit of Happiness
Christopher Kelly, professor of political science, Boston College
- February 5, 2012—3:00 p.m.: performance of the opera Le Devin du village by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- February 9, 2012—5:00 p.m.: talk by Johann Rousselot, photojournalist in Paris
- February 15, 2012—5:00 p.m.: On Jean-Jacques Rousseau: Literary Lie and Political Fiction
Serge Margel, professor in the Faculty of Theology and Sciences of Religion, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
- February 28, 2012—5:00 p.m.: talk by Jason Neidleman, professor of political science, University of La Verne
- March 6, 2012—5:00 p.m.: talk by Philippe Brault, photojournalist in Paris
For more information on Rousseau 2012 / DIGNITY, click here.
Originally published at al.nd.edu.