Advanced Language Training
Advanced Language Training
The Nanovic Institute supports graduate students continuing the study of a European language through the Advanced Language Training grant. This grant can be used to cover the cost of language training tuition fees, in-country living expenses, and flights to and from the language training program. Preference is given to applicants who propose long, immersive language training programs rather than short semi-immersive programs. This grant aims to deepen the study of a European language for academic or professional purposes.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate previous experience with the language they are proposing to study and an essential academic or professional need to advance their knowledge. They must also be currently enrolled as a graduate student at the University of Notre Dame and be in satisfactory academic standing with at least a 3.0 GPA. Applicants may apply at any stage of their program, from matriculation to degree completion, but students must not be enrolled beyond the degree completion limits set by the Graduate School. This grant carries a maximum award of $6,000.
How to apply
- Fall deadline: September 13, 2022
- Winter deadline: November 8, 2022
- Spring deadline: February 7, 2023
- Summer deadline: April 4, 2023
Students applying for an Advanced Language Training Grant must submit the following documents:
- 2-3 page proposal outlining the rationale behind language acquisition and the particular training program selected, previous language experience, and qualifications. Students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Institute’s research priorities and articulate how their work in the selected language aligns with or contributes to these goals.
- Placement confirmation: students are required to submit placement documentation including materials from the employing organization that confirm its acceptance of the student as an intern or volunteer. If the internship or volunteer arrangement has not been made official before the application deadline, students may note this in their application and the Institute may issue an award letter contingent on proof of placement documentation.
- Current CV.
- Detailed budget: for budgeting guidelines and restrictions please see effective budgeting.
- Faculty letter of recommendation: the letter should be from a faculty member at Notre Dame who is familiar with the student’s language abilities and the details of the specific training program being proposed. An effective faculty letter will explicitly reflect upon the importance of the language to the students’ academic or career goals and the students’ language learning abilities. Faculty letters that do not evince a familiarity with the student’s proposal will greatly disadvantage the student’s chances for receiving funding from the Institute. Faculty will be prompted to submit their letters after the student application has been submitted, but may send it directly to Anna Dolezal, student programs assistant manager, if they prefer.
Award Expectations and Requirements
Grant recipients are required to obtain the proper permissions for international travel from Notre Dame International prior to payment of the stipend. Once awarded, the funding must be used to complete the proposed language training during the dates specified in the application.
Combined funding from this grant and other sources may not exceed the proposed budget total, and applicants must promptly inform the Nanovic Institute of additional funding received at any point from application submission through completion of the internship. Recipients must return any paid funds if they cancel the scheduled internship and must repay any non-refundable expenses incurred by the Nanovic Institute (i.e. airfare directly paid) if cancellation is not due to documented illness or another justifying circumstance.
After completing the internship or service opportunity, grant recipients must provide the Nanovic Institute with a 500-1000 word report about the experience and its outcome, as well as at least three photos from the internship or project. Reports and photographs must be submitted through the online portal according to the directions in the grant award packet by the deadline communicated at the time of award. Unless permission is expressly denied, the Nanovic Institute retains permission to share these reports and photographs.