POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
The Nanovic Institute for European Studies at the University of Notre Dame seeks to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Associate for the academic year 2019-20 to support our new Initiative for the Study of Contemporary Europe. Apply by Monday, April 29, 2019, by 12:00 noon.
The ideal candidate will have conducted research in contemporary European Studies, have at least one European language other than English, and be able to engage a variety of audiences (undergraduate students, graduate fellows, distinguished visitors) with both care and competence. The candidate must be able to work under direction as a collegial member of a fast-paced and creative team at the Institute and be self-motivated within assigned administrative and teaching duties. The candidate should also be able to engage in a professional environment, demonstrated by, for example, responsiveness to email correspondence and handling electronic calendaring and other practicalities appropriately. The successful candidate should also have a commitment to the University’s mission and to the Institute’s priorities.
The position may be renewable for a second year, contingent upon the Director’s evaluation and the Postdoctoral Associate’s interest. Competitive salary; includes access to modest research funds, and travel grant. The service to the Institute/personal scholarship ratio will be approximately 60/40. The position is meant to support the Postdoctoral Associate’s research, but comes with significant programming and teaching responsibilities, as follows:
- The Postdoctoral Associate will be expected to take an active role in the Institute’s new Initiative for the Study of Contemporary Europe, which may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Advising of undergraduate and graduate students
- Program development
- Teaching for the Institute (1/1)
- Assisting in the planning of conferences, symposia, lectures, and other gatherings
- Working with the Graduate Fellows (a cohort of 8-10 graduate students in a variety of departments at Notre Dame)
- Promoting interest and expertise in contemporary Europe among the Institute’s Faculty Fellows and Affiliates
- Postdoctoral Associates must be in residence in the Institute at the University of Notre Dame. Residence tracks with the academic year. You can access Notre Dame’s academic calendar here: https://registrar.nd.edu/calendar/
- The fellowship is scheduled to run August 15, 2019 to August 14, 2020. Precise dates may be negotiable.
We treat the term “contemporary Europe” with some flexibility, understanding that “contemporary” questions require a differential approach. The position is open to all fields that treat of contemporary Europe, including literature, film, and the arts. At this time, however, we have a particular focus on Political Science for this position.
Visit our submission portal here to apply. All applicants are required to submit a current CV, a cover letter that includes a research proposal, and names of references. Cover letters must not exceed three pages.